Sunday, January 20, 2013

Daily Sketches - Week 3

The news is good: I have found a job that starts on Monday (nothing terribly exciting, just back at my old company for the moment) and thus am a functioning member of society once more. However, now the real challenge of keeping up these daily sketches begins. I am expecting to see a noticeable loss of day-to-day quality. So you probably should too.


I also started my second art class this week - Perspective with the great Gary Meyer at 3Kicks Art Studio (they share the same building as Concept Design Academy in Pasadena, but are a slightly different organization). As far as I can tell, in the art world, perspective is the class that everyone has to take and everyone loves to hate, but I'm enjoying it so far. Math was definitely never my favorite subject, but there's something about the cleanliness and definitiveness of it that I like. This week we have no homework (so it's ALREADY way different than VisCom 1... that class was amazing but it had a tendency to kill my outside-of-work life), but I'm excited to get started on drawing some vanishing points and boxes and shit next week.

Here's this week's work.

Monday - A drawing of baby Shane for my cousin Lindsay. My realistic people drawing skills leave something to be desired but this was good practice.

Tuesday and Wednesday - the Atherton twins from Cirque du Soleil's "Iris" - great show

Thursday - the Hollywood mountains from the observatory... super quick

Friday... more Iris characters

Saturday - the diner duo


Sunday - watercolor fun... no idea where this came from

I have some videos and stuff to post but I'm starting to realize that I should focus my posts more and not make them huge amalgamations of Everything I've Been Looking At On The Internet Lately. So those will come later. In the meantime, hope everyone's well, keep drawing!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job and great sketches! Please keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hah - I was talking with a friend of mine who was also on hiatus and we were talking about how, when you're freelance and you're between jobs, you spend a lot of time worrying about where your next job is coming from... but then as soon as you get a job you're like "AUUUGH WHEN IS MY NEXT HIATUS"... but it's good. Money is good.

      Delete
  3. Very nice drawings, especially the first one. Congratulation for the job. Good luck for your class. Let us know what you learn there ;)

    ReplyDelete